what do i bring to tech editing?
I have been a knitter for 50+ years; a knitting pattern designer for 20+ years; a technical services librarian for 20+ years; and a test knitter for 10+ years. I love order, data, consistency, and precision. I seem to have inherited my mother’s uncanny ability to have typos practically jump off the page at me. I’m also not frightened of crunching numbers (spreadsheets are our friends!).
Why have your patterns tech edited?
A tech editor is a fresh set of eyes to ensure that your patterns are clear, consistent, accurate, complete, and easy to follow, with no typos or grammatical errors.
You want your customers to enjoy knitting your pattern and I want to help you make that happen!
am i accepting new clients?
Yes! Currently, I’m happy to work with patterns for accessories, shawls, and simple garments.
What can you expect from me?
- Prompt communication.
- An estimate (once you send me a PDF of the pattern).
- A reasonable turnaround (typically within a week or two).
WHAT will i do for you?
- Full tech edit, including all stages of proofs.
- General numbers check: stitch counts, gauge, etc.
- I will suspend editing and contact you promptly if I encounter any major issues in need of resolution.
- Style consistency (compared to style sheet if you have one).
- Repeated checks until we both deem that the pattern is correct and ready to publish/test knit.
- A final read-through of the pattern before you publish if you would like.
- Promotion of your pattern on social media, again, if you would like.
What else can I do for you?
- I can create both simple and complex charts, as well as providing corresponding written directions.
- I can help you develop and follow a style sheet for your patterns.
How much does it cost?
- I charge an hourly rate of $25.
- I accept payment via PayPal and I invoice once you’ve accepted the final edited version of your pattern.
- Forthcoming! I am working with my first clients now!
- You can email me at kathie(at)handknitlibrarian(dot)net – I’d be happy to discuss terms and to talk about working together!