year of scarves update #10

Tenth and final update on the Year of Scarves.  It worked out pretty well and the final count is twelve scarves (or shawlettes) for 2010.  Having a goal of getting one done each month (even if I didn’t actually stick to that timetable) really proved a good incentive.  Having graduation, birthday, and Christmas gifts ready to go was also an excellent carrot for this donkey.

The final contenders in the YoS were these two:

Un_Noro striped scarfUn-Noro striped scarf

Both done in Moda Dea Tweedle Dee (discontinued) for fast, machine-washable, and warm winter scarves.  For the ungrateful one and the boyfriend for Christmas.  I love this pattern and I’d do it again in a heartbeat with the right yarn.

In the Christmas knitting stakes, I’m not doing too badly with my original, and somewhat unrealistic, list.  Here’s what is already done:

Cabled coffee coziesDashing cabled mittsDashing cabled mittsDashing cabled mittsHive striped mittsChunky knitted beret

Underway:

  • Jackson’s dead fish hat (just waiting for eyes) – pattern from Knitty
  • Miss Bella’s Arrrgyle dog coat – Bernat’s I-Matey Dog Coat pattern (more about this below)

Still on the crazy person goal items list:

  • Three hats (the architect, the boy, and the boyfriend)

Doing the three pairs of Dashing mitts gave me the time to ponder some modifications to the pattern.  I wanted the cables to twist in the direction of the hand worn (i.e. left-leaning cables for the left hand and right-leaning for the right), I wanted to add another cable round, but only on the top of the mitt – not on the palm, and I wanted a thumb gusset which grew out of one of the cables.  My mods are available on my Dashing page.  Doing this has been a spur to designing my own cabled mitts pattern.  I’m hoping to get these done for the ungrateful one for Christmas, but I probably will have to knit another pair after that to iron out any kinks in the pattern before I publish it.

The dog coat for Miss Bella is based on a Bernat pattern which is, by all accounts on Ravelry, atrociously written.  I’m going to nut it out somehow because I’d like to include something for that sweet and silly dog in the Christmas package, but I’m subbing in an Argyle pattern from Knitty (Mangyle) instead of the skull.  If I figure out the basic structure, I’ll be in good shape to rewrite the pattern next year and make her a custom Steelyard dog coat.  :)

I may do Mangyle down the track for the boy.  He’s hankering after an Argyle vest for some reason.

a quick update

And I’m determined to post this right away. ;)

The handknit librarian site is live, but only partially.  There’s much more work to do on that this week, but I’m looking forward to really getting some solid content uploaded and to getting started on the portfolio section.  Transferring this blog over there might be last on my list as I’m really not sure about that process.  Oh well, that’s what the Help and FAQ files are for, right?

Christmas has come and gone and was fairly low-key with no drama (just the way we like it!).  Knitting that did get finished included 4 hats, 4 pairs of mitts, and a market bag:

Still to finish, one more pair of fetchings and a wimple for Drake.  I’ll be seeing her for lunch later in the week (and for a tour of the partially renovated Steel Yard site) so I’m hoping to get them done.

Also finished to send before Christmas were the flower power booties and hat for Mandy in my Bama MLIS cohort.  Aren’t they too cute for words?

I’ve queued up a number of projects for 2010.  Wonder how many I’ll actually get done?

Some progress …


Three pairs of denim booties are finished and listed at etsy. It looks like I can get 4 pairs from a single ball. Of course they’re darker than the ones that already sold at etsy – this is different yarn! This is Regia Mini Ringel, and those were Regia Jacquard Color. Doh!

The tuxedos are sewn up and listed.

I bought some great sock yarn from See Jayne Knit Yarns at etsy. Zach picked this out for his Christmas socks. He wanted something tie-dye-ey. I’ll post a pick when it gets here.

Finally started Drake’s Steel Yard mitts. Hopefully I’ll get those done fairly quickly so I can start Phoebe’s socks.

Too many things started … not enough finished

Well, I’m in middle of multiple Denim booties. The problem with these is because they’re done in a self-striping yarn, and they’re so small, they come out looking like mismatched pairs. I’ve decided to knit multiple single booties (also a good exercise in working out how many I’ll get from a ball of yarn), and then see if I can match them up. Already the ones I’ve been knitting are much darker than the pair I sold at etsy … not sure why. The single bootie I managed out of the tiny remains of a skein is almost all dark gray/blue.

Other booties that need to be tackled: black cats, another pair of pumpkins to sew up, tuxedos to sew up, and start thinking about Christmassy ones.

My (ginormous) felted tote still needs the handle sewn on before I give it a trial. Pics to follow if it’s successful.

Drake’s Steel Yard mitts need to be started, as does George’s Windowpane scarf (I would have sworn that I found the pattern for this at knitpicks, but I can’t see it there now – I hope I printed it out!).

That’s not to mention Phoebe’s socks (in this fabulous colour from Razzy Tazzy Knits), Phoebe’s sweater (Tubey, but I don’t have all the yarn yet), Mum’s wrap (which I’m combining patterns for), and the fool idea I had that everyone would get a pair of socks this Christmas.

So … priorities …

  • tote finished
  • mitts started
  • pumpkin booties sewn up and listed on etsy
  • denim booties finished
  • tuxedo booties finished, pics taken, and listed
  • black cats – experiment with ears
  • Phoebe’s socks: start
  • Tubey for Phoebe: start
  • scarf for George: start
  • wrap for Mum: start


Ouch!