What would a vacation be without some knitting? Yes, I’ll admit it, I packed my knitting before anything else. Knowing that I’d have six or seven days in the car was a good motivation!
Project 1: finish Zach’s basic ribbed socks. This pattern from Drops has been translated really badly, so I just used my basic cuff-down sock pattern-fu and figured it out for myself. The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll (mine is old enough to still be called Essential) in Carbon Twist. Nice to knit with, soft in the hand, but it splits very easily. Also, the skeins must be really out of whack as I knit one whole sock (with a bit left over) from one skein, but only got to the beginning of the toe on the second sock. Grrr. I hate being unable to finish something as planned! Luckily, I have heaps of this yarn as I bought it to do the edging on both the kids’ sock-yarn blankets. Now, all I have to do is find it in the house somewhere. ;)
Project 2: TATU (Try-a-toe-up) socks. I’ve done toe-up socks before, but I was looking for a good, easy, fairly vanilla pattern for toe-ups and this one certainly fits the bill. It’s also written for sport-weight yarn on US 3s so they really moved along. They just need the ends woven in and a quick wash and they’re done (for me)!
Project 3: Riley. My god-daughter will be visiting the US from Australia in April/May with her husband and daughter (my great-god-daughter ;)) and we’ll be catching up with them in either Boston or NYC, work schedules permitting. I’d like to have something summery but not too light-weight for the baby (Tabitha) to wear as necessary while here, but to grow into for the Australian spring and summer. I recently made a baby kimono and hat from this cotton/microfiber blend and I loved the finished garment in terms of drape, texture and usability. I’m knitting a pattern from Nashua Handknits and am going out on a limb a little bit in terms of size. If I’ve done the knitting maths correctly (and there could always be a first time ;)), knitting the 12-month size with this yarn and US size 5 needles should result in an 18-month-ish size. Fingers crossed!
Project 4: Custom Zooming. Several months ago, I experimented with a pattern (Zoom) to make a cotton cover for the Swiffer sweeper. I’m pretty sick of throwing away endless pieces of paper (Swiffer cloths – both wet and dry) so I’d like to find a more sustainable solution. I played around with the pattern and customized it to fit our particular Swiffer. It works pretty well on dry floors and really well wet (although I’m yet to find an easy and mess-free way to get it wet enough but “wrung-out” enough for mopping floors).
Project 5: Dishcloth. Have I, perhaps, been on another planet? Growing up, I was oblivious of the whole knitted dishcloth phenomenon. Maybe we didn’t have it in Australia? (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong?) Anyway, I’ll admit to being a Sugar’n Cream snob for many years … now you can call me a convert! Between the Swiffer Zooms and my newly discovered obsession for knitting dishcloths in the car … beware A.C. Moore! I tried out my first ever dishcloth today, and I’m in love. I can totally see putting out a new one of these every day and washing them in the weekly old towels/rags/zoom/dishcloth hot+bleach wash (we have one of the old Maytag Neptune front loaders with the inherent mold problems, and I’m always looking for an excuse to run a hot wash with bleach!).
The vacation was a complete knitting success, especially as we finished our trip staying in a B&B where the host(ess) was a knitter and we compared knitting war stories over breakfast.