a quick update

And I’m determined to post this right away. ;)

The handknit librarian site is live, but only partially.  There’s much more work to do on that this week, but I’m looking forward to really getting some solid content uploaded and to getting started on the portfolio section.  Transferring this blog over there might be last on my list as I’m really not sure about that process.  Oh well, that’s what the Help and FAQ files are for, right?

Christmas has come and gone and was fairly low-key with no drama (just the way we like it!).  Knitting that did get finished included 4 hats, 4 pairs of mitts, and a market bag:

Still to finish, one more pair of fetchings and a wimple for Drake.  I’ll be seeing her for lunch later in the week (and for a tour of the partially renovated Steel Yard site) so I’m hoping to get them done.

Also finished to send before Christmas were the flower power booties and hat for Mandy in my Bama MLIS cohort.  Aren’t they too cute for words?

I’ve queued up a number of projects for 2010.  Wonder how many I’ll actually get done?

no-one to blame but myself

I can’t even blame javascript this time. :(

The following post was written in early December, and somehow, while I was waiting to take some pics to post, I lost track of it …

Take yourself back in time to December 6th …

What a bother grad school is sometimes ;)  Just when I have all this gift knitting to do I have these final projects to work on.  Juggling the two is going to be interesting.

My cataloging final is partially done.  I’ve created all the records for the items in Connexion browser, but I really need to check them over with a fine-toothed comb for errors and to see if any of them are missing anything.  My final project for Web Development is coming along swimmingly.  Knit one, find one (a knitting pathfinder) just needs some minor JavaScript tweaking - I love the way I say that in such a blasé fashion. ;)  I’m looking forward to moving it to a permanent home at the Handknit Librarian site and making some minor changes to it (some of the effects were really just for the class and might come out).  Eventually, this blog will migrate there as well.  I’m hoping to cover booties, blog, pathfinder, portfolio, etc. – all linked off the main page.

Despite all this, some knitting progress has been made.  Vivian is proceeding well.  Still not sure if I’ll get it finished in time, but there is hope.

One pair of fetchings is done:

And another pair of mitts is underway:

One hat is also done:

And several others are queued up.  I just need a little bit more yarn for those – story of my life, hah!

The Wavy Wimple has been started and will be quick work if I can ever get to it!

In non-Christmas knitting, the flower power hat is done and the booties are underway.  These are a gift for Mandy from my Bama cohort.  I thought the baby wasn’t due until the end of the month, but I found out last week that she’s having a C-section on the 14th.  Should have the booties done by tonight or tomorrow and get it all in the mail this week :)

The tuxedo booties, after languishing on the needles on the needles for a while, are done but not seamed.  Still, they’re done enough to have finished the rewrite of the pattern and that’s posted for sale on Ravelry.

The French flag booties are done and are très cute:

javascript zombie

So, I apparently wrote that last post, saved it, but never published it.  I’m definitely blaming javascript for having eaten most of my brain in the last few weeks.

Fortunately, the section of my brain that deals with the actual knitting (as opposed to writing about knitting) has survived the semester intact so far.

Vivian is underway, thanks mostly to my innate need to create order out of chaos translated into a nifty spreadsheet:

One hat, Felicity, is done:

One pair of mitts, in left over Dream in Color Classy, Fetching for Monica/Mum (haven’t decided who yet) is underway:

And the yarn for one thing that wasn’t on the list, a Wavy Feathers Wimple, has been ordered from LotusYarns on etsy, was dyed this weekend, and has been shipped.  It’s going to be beautiful.  Photo of yarn to follow when it gets here.

Somehow, in spite of the extensive Christmas knitting list, I have to knit a pair of French flag booties for a friend at work, a pair of tuxedo booties, so that I can rewrite the pattern to put up on Ravelry, and a pair, or two, of pretty, girly booties for a member of my MLIS cohort whose baby is due around New Years.  I’m thinking of trying to do an applique knitted flower on a pale pink or white pair for a “cherry blossom” effect.  Updates to follow.

on the first day of Christmas (knitting) …

my conscience prodded me ….

Let’s see, I apparently need to knit five easy hats, four pairs of fingerless mitts, … two cabled ornaments, and  one Vivian (which may kill me).

I may need to revise this.

I do have two pairs of socks stashed (one with a definite recipient in mind and one as a fallback – provided the recipient is female and wears size 8 or so shoes).  Three of the hats are really necessary, plus all the mitts, and Vivian.  The ornaments could be a victim of holiday knitting attrition.

I’ll start one hat this weekend.  I started Vivian (three times) this week, and I think I finally have it right.  I’ve made up a spreadsheet for the first two rows in the first two sizes (as I was undecided about what size to knit for the ungrateful one).  I’ll upload it here and link it once I’ve established that it really works.  I’m glad I’m not alone in struggling with the first couple of rows.