reorganizing fiction … done!

This week I finally finished this huge project. I’m thrilled with how wonderful it looks and it already seems to be appealing to both our regular and our reluctant readers.

fiction by genre adventure

I asked a student yesterday if she liked the new arrangement:

“Yes, it’s a lot easier to find what I want.”

Another student, when I showed her the Sci-Fi-Fantasy section:

“Oh, these are my books …”

She was down there for about 15 minutes because there were “so many good books to choose from.”

fiction by genre horror

And, from my boss:

“Anything that makes their lives easier makes our lives easier.”

fiction by genre sportsGoals achieved:

  • Entire fiction section weeded
  • Genre stickers added to all relevant books
  • Books needing repair identified, pulled, and repaired
  • Books in need of replacement identified

Bonuses:

  • Classics identified and put in a resource list (stickers will be added by our student aide) – 10th graders are required to read a “classic” 2nd semester and the hunt to identify an appealing one has always been horrible
  • Terrible collection of (mostly) outdated and unused VHS tapes ruthlessly weeded – we needed the space to extend the “regular” fiction section
  • Short story and biography collections gained a little bit of much needed space
  • Display space also gained for short story and biography collections
  • I improved my upper arm muscle tone – I must have moved some sections of fiction about 10 times in an effort to minimize disruption once we started breaking out the genre sections ;)

We have some more signage to take care of next, but this is basically done!

Circulation statistics will be watched closely for the next few months … I’m betting they go up for fiction.