It’s been a long time, but the design bug has finally hit again. Courtesy of a request on a discussion forum on Ravelry where I mostly lurk, I’m working on Dragon Baby! – dragon feet socks.
The process always takes much longer than I expect, and these have proved even fiddlier to work out because of all the tiny, fussy little elements. It’s a fun process though – I just wish I had more time and could get through it a little bit faster. Without that pesky full time job …..
For the basic structure, I used a simple baby sock pattern designed for fingering or light fingering weight yarn. Then I needed to figure out a “scaly” pattern for the leg. Nicky Epstein’s Knitting Beyond the Edge yielded the open spoke bobble pattern which, without the bobbles, proved just right for scales:
Next, I decided that it would be way too hard to knit the actual leg of the sock in that pattern, so I decided to do the scales as a turn-over cuff with a rolled top, like my MaryJanes.
I decided to do a plain ribbed leg (so the booties/socks will stay on wiggly little baby feet better), but I wanted a textured looking instep part which would segue nicely to the three front toes & claws. I can’t remember what inspired this part specifically, but it’s a fairly simple broken rib concept.
The toes & claws were based, loosely, on the Arum Lily in Lesley Stanfield’s 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet. The hard part was figuring out how to do that pesky fourth claw – the one on the back of the heel (what *is* that claw called?). On my first prototype, I think it’s a bit too high up the heel, so right now I’m knitting prototype #2 and adjusting the position of the opening for that claw. The opening is simple, just a placeholder type (see The Principles of Knitting, p. 136), just as you might do for a thumb hole in a mitten.
Next up … a pair in higher contrast colours so I can take better pics of the tricky “picking up for the rolled cuff top” bit. I’m thinking light gray leg & foot with a royal blue cuff. I’m keeping the red claws though. I have a couple of offers to test knit from the wonderful LSGers, so once I have a completed pair, and I’ve tidied up the written pattern a bit, I’ll let them try it and wait for their feedback.
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull
Needles: US 1.5 & 1 (2.5 & 2.25 mm) KnitPicks Harmony & Knitter’s Pride Karbonz (I love these – so smooth & pointy – lovely to knit with!)